Tuesday 2 May 2023

Goat Chariot #5

I've said this before, but sometimes I end up collecting things that I didn't intend to collect, and this is another example. Back in 2019 I stumbled across a cheap Even Score 7" in a shop and bought it because it was pretty cheap. I then found another one a couple of years later. And then a third one fell in front of me this year. At that point there was one left that I needed - the clear vinyl version.

Unlike the previous three, I actually went out of my way to get this one. I went to discogs and paid probably double than what I paid for any of the other copies for it... plus postage. But for some stupid reason I had just decided that I wanted to 'complete' the collection.

There were 5 different colours of this one pressed by Victory somewhere around 1998 or 1999. It was the first release in the Victory Swingin' Singles Club, which never really took off. Each of these is hand numbered on the back cover out of 500 copies. Given Victory was pretty huge at the time this was pressed, I always assumed that there were 500 copies of each colour. However, I recently asked Clint who used to work at the label, and he confirmed that there were 500 in total, with around 100 copies of each colour. After 25 years or so, it was good to finally find this out for the first time.

The craziest thing about this is that a couple of months back I was looking at a picture of a collection of this 7" on instagram from a few years ago, and I came across a comment that I had posted. My comment included this sentence:

I have it on red and used to have both purple and white but never knew there was a pink.

The weird thing about this is that I have no memory of even owning any copies of this 7" aside from a red vinyl copy that I got back when it came out. Yet a few years ago I seemed to know that I once also had purple and white copies. My memory for this stuff is pretty good, so it confused me that at some point I remembered something that now I have zero memory of whatsoever. I must be getting old.

1 comment:

geoff said...

ive always toyed around with the idea of collecting the 5 of them. this isnt helping :) now i just might have to. also, ive wanted to collect more shades of grey of the first pressing. i havent had the desire to collect the limited covers. they go for too much money still.