Sunday 15 December 2019

US Trip, December 2019, Part 2 - Armageddon Shop

On the evening of the second day in Boston, we made a trek up to Harvard Square to visit the Armageddon Shop. Last time I was there in Summer 2018 it had yielded a couple of nice finds, although I barely scraped the surface of the 7" boxes. In other stores I found that the 7" boxes were where the real gems could be found, so I was keen to make sure I went through the 7"s this time around.

We arrived at the shop at 7pm, giving us an hour to go through whatever they had in stock. There were a lot of 7" boxes, and I just got straight on with it. Again, I was trying to not buy too many things, and only ended up walking out with only two.

First up, a Victory Singles Club purple vinyl pressing of the Even Score 7". I have this on red, which I actually got sent by Victory when I joined the Singles Club myself back in about 1997. It's a nicely packaged item and it was cheap, so I couldn't find an reason to pass it up.

The second 7" I picked up was the debut 7" by the band Union. This was a band from Buffalo in the mid 90s. I love their second 7" on Ferret, and never heard their debut release before, and for a couple of bucks I figured it was worth grabbing.

Check out the photos on the insert. You'd be pushed to find something that looked more 90s.

The funny thing was that there were so many boxes of 7"s that I got bored halfway through, and my arm started to ache. But Anna pushed me to carry on and finish. But once I did finally finish flipping through the boxes, there was only 5 minutes left until the shop was due to close. I was hopeful that there may have been another Robot Whales test press lurking in the 12" bins, but if there was then I only had 5 minutes to find it.

I started flipping through the LPs but it was clear I didn't have time to look through even a quarter of what was there. So instead I scracthed my head and tried to think of recentish releases that they may have had. I thought of about 4 and managed to find only one.

Big Cheese are a UK band for which there is quite a bit of hype. This 12" is their demo and 7" on one handy 12" format, and is on Painkiller Records. The orange vinyl actually sold out pretty quick, so I was happy to find one at 'new release' price. The band's upcoming full length will be on Triple B, and no doubt that will propel them to the next level.

So that was that. I'd hit up Boston and managed to restrain myself and only bought 5 records. In some ways, a successful mission.

No comments: