Thursday 8 April 2021

What's Wrong With Me

I'm generally not a big fan of live records. As a general rule, I would describe them as 'pointless'. But when I started seeing photos of a live Faith LP a couple of months back, I immediately wanted one. I guess that's the thing with collecting records - sometimes you see a record and you want it just because it looks nice.

There are 3 colours of this one. The first press was clear (300) and blue (700, i think). I was able to get a clear one from the label when this came out. It's taken me ages to get around to posting this though because I wanted to listen to it first, and my record player hasn't been working for a while. By the time I got around to finally spinning it last week there has also been a second press (on black & gold split vinyl).

The record contains two live sets, both recorded on the same day (December 26, 1981). The band supported Bad Brains and played two sets, and obviously also had the shows recorded. I imagine they were probably thinking at the time that it would be good to release the songs on vinyl approximately 39 years later.

The insert contains some great writings from the band members about their memories of the shows and the trip to New York. It was a really interesting read, and the amount of detail really does show how important this must have been for the band to have stuck in their minds for so many years. I often assume that for most bands, all shows just blur into one and they have difficulty remembering one from another, but that's clearly not the case here. This was obviously a hugely important show for these guys at the time.

The record is a really nice item. It looks good and the sound quality is very good for a live record. But I can't imagine I'll play it much, if indeed ever again. I mean, it's a really great tribute to a single day from a long time ago, and if I were in the band or at the show then this would be amazing to own. But that aside, for me this is (as I said at the start) pretty pointless. But it does look nice though, right?

1 comment:

Nico said...

Such a great live record, I gave quite a few plays already. Excellent stuff.