Saturday 24 April 2021

Daisy Ritual

I started collecting TAD records a few years ago, but for some unknown reason didn't quite get around to picking up a copy of the first 7". A few weeks ago I was spending some time watching music documentaries on Amazon Prime, and I came across a TAD documentary. It was my favourite of all the documentaries I watched, although I was surprised to find out after watching it that it was actually made in 2008. And there was me thinking that punk documentaries was a relatively recently phenomenon. It was a really interesting watch, but one thing it certainly remnded me about was that I was still missing a copy of the first 7" from my collection. It's not actually that difficult to find a copy, and the price seems to have come down a little in the past few years (or at least, the price hasn't gone through the roof like a lot of hardcore 7"s), so I was able to grab one at a great price pretty easily.

This 7" was released by Sub Pop Records back in 1988. It was the label's 11th vinyl release, and the 5th 7". For whatever reason, the first five 7"s that the label released did not come in picture sleeves. So this is all you get with this record. A clear vinyl 7" and that's all. Apparently these were originally issued in PVC sleeves, which we now know are really not good things to store records in as they can become 'sticky'. So a lot of these records ended up damaged just from being left in the sleeve that it came in. This one didn't come to me in a PVC, but if it had done I would have binned it.

There are only 2 songs on this one. But what's interesting about this is that this is basically a solo 7". Tad himself plays all the instruments on this record, before he recruited other band members.

There were just under 1000 copies made on clear vinyl, and also a small number on black, and an even smaller number on gold. I really hope to get one of the gold ones at some point.

1 comment:

Jazz said...

Also on prime are the mudhoney and L7 docs. Pretty good