Thursday 15 April 2021

World House

Last summer I was looking for something new to listen to, and I decided to 'catch up' on a couple of newer bands with 7"s on Lockin' Out Records. By 'newer' I just mean bands I haven't heard or heard of really, as opposed to records that were new out. One of the records was a 7" by a band called Mil-Spec. I had no idea who they were, but I downloaded the 7" purely because I have grown to trust Lockin' Out over the years. I found myself listening to it quite a lot, although it didn't really hit hard and blow me away. But still, when I saw that a full length was coming out, I was still keen to give it a listen, and it turned out to be a bit of a step up from the 7". I think I was about ten seconds into it when I decided I wanted to buy a copy.

Well, as you can see, I was lucky enough to get one of the cream vinyl copies, but this was not without incident. I ordered the record from the Lockin' Out store and I selected the cream vinyl option that was available. I then also bought a couple of other 7"s that were in the store. But when the parcel arrived I had been given a black vinyl copy of the LP. This was the second time that Lockin' Out sent me something different to what I ordered, so I was annoyed. I emailed and asked if they could rectify the error but got no reply. Somehow there were still cream copies available, but I really didn't fancy paying for another one only to have the same thing happen again, because knowing my luck it absolutely would. So instead I persuaded a friend to buy me one and trade it for something that he would ultimately find disappointing.

If I had received this LP when it first came out then it would definitely have made it into my 'best of 2020' list. It really is that good. It's not exactly a traditional 'hardcore' sound, and I genuinely do not know how to describe it. If anything it reminds me of the Abuse Of Power LP that Triple B released a couple of years ago... which is no doubt a reference that most people won't get. It's kinda melodic and there is a lot going on. It's well worth checking out, but I think it takes several plays to really appreciate it. And I'm still playing it weekly 4 months into the new year.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Worst. Trade. Ever. Kidding! I still think I came out on top on that trade.

Ralf said...

That record is indeed very, very good.

Anonymous said...

Incredible band and awesome record. I'm surprised Lockin' Out didn't respond to you. If you bought this record recently his shop was down so you might want to reach out again.
Also here's a link to a good interview with Mil-Spec..
https://noise.thehardtimes.net/2020/10/02/mil-spec-talks-new-lp-book-zine-culture-riley-gale/

Cool blog! :)

mcs said...

Thanks, anonymous person. I did get a response from Lockin' Out but it was a month after I emailed them, and by that time the cream vinyl had sold out.