Sunday 18 April 2021

Rule Them All

Included with the Mil-Spec LP that I received was another 7" that I wasn't expecting, which was attached to a handy piece of advice:

The 7" is by a band called Rule Them All, and (unsurprisingly) I'd never heard them before, as they made music that came out after 2002. This 7" is titled 'Dreams About...' and was released by Flatspot Records at the end of 2019.

I got sent a copy with a limited cover. Apparently there are 50 of these. But mine seems to be even more special. This particular copy is the 'special cover w/ sticker pressing 1/1'. Pretty cool huh?

The cover is just a single piece of paper, behind which sits the regular cover. The colour scheme of the sleeve is inverted from the first press, which featured a yellow cover with blue lettering. I like it when these kind of changes are made as it helps to differentiate between pressings, plus it just adds a bit more of a 'fun' element to the game. It's just a shame they chose this splatter colour for the record itself. You know my feelings on splatter.

I doubt I would have given this a chance had I not been sent it. Between the cover and the vinyl colour, it looks absolutely awful. But in taking the advice I was given, I gave it a chance, and it's really good. Like, REALLY good. It definitely reminds me a lot of something, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what. I tried to find a review to see if anyone would have figured it out and mentioned it, but no luck. Someone mentioned the band Capital as a reference point, probably because this band comes from Long Island, but I don't hear that at all. The only real similarity is that the vocal style means you can actually hear what the dude is singing.

I'm probably gonna have to look into getting the 12" now, although that may be easier said than done.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I hope you make a Discogs listing for this limited sticker edition. Glad you liked the music, even if the record looks terrible.