Sunday 25 April 2021

Petroleum Spirit Daze

A couple of weeks ago I listened to Swervedriver and asked myself why I have never bothered to listen to anything but their first EP. The band released the 'Son Of Mustang Ford' 12" EP back in 1990 on Creation Records, and even though they went on to release 6 full lengths, I'd never heard any of them. Nor for that matter had I been interested in any of them. Well, as often happens, I was wanting to listen to something a bit different, so decided to check out the first Swervedriver LP. Four songs in and I was really enjoying it. I then read that they had recently released an alternative recording of their debut EP. The band pressed up 500 copies and they sold out instantly, so they pressed 500 more. There were 65 copies left according to their bandcamp and it was a good price, so I figured I'd grab one.

This 12" contains the original recordings of these 4 songs. The story is that the band recorded it but then the label thought it wasn't great so made them re-record the songs again in a different studio. But the band kept the tape of the original recording, and released it 30 years later with a slightly different title.

I'm not really sure that red vinyl goes partocularly well here, but I guess this is the modern world we live in. Black vinyl doesn't sell.

The final pic shows the original EP from 1990 next to this new record. I like how they have used an except of the original artwork. Oh, and the title 'Petroleum Spirit Daze' is a line from the song 'Son Of Mustang Ford'.

This recording is actually really good. I can see why the band kept the tape. It sounds a little more raw than the originally released EP. Certainly worthy of being released. ANd kinda funny that all I own from this band's entire existence is essentially two different versions of the same EP.

No comments: