Tuesday 6 December 2022

Dreamkiller

It's been over 5 years since I bought the debut LP from Sumerlands, a 'traditional metal' band featuring DFJ from every hardcore band ever. It's not really the usual kind of stuff I would listen to, but back then I was way into Magic Circle and Stone Dagger (both of which were metal bands featuring both DFJ and Brendan from The Rival Mob). Sumerlands was less of an instant hit for me than most of their other bands, but I ended up getting really into it and bought the record. So when I heard that a second LP was being released in 2022, I was intrigued. Would I still be interested?

Well, yes is the answer. I downloaded it first and gave it a few listens, and as was the case back in 2017, I started to play it daily. On this record they have a new singer, which is Brendan Radigan, whose vocals are great in Magic Circle. So this one probably grabbed me even more than the first album... which meant I wanted to buy a copy.

Just like the first one, this one came out on Relapse Records. There were about 8 different colours made, most of which were splatters that sounded ugly as hell. But without even seeing which colour options were available, I knew which one I wanted - the clear vinyl. As thheir website says, there are 100 copies on clear which are 'Not available to the public - Friends of band and label only'.

Definitely another contender for record of the year, which I am going to have to start properly thinking about pretty soon it seems. Goddamnit.

No comments: