Wednesday 21 December 2022

Rattle The Cage

It's a good job that I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait I wait. My time is water down a drain. It was a little over 2 years ago, in early December 2020, that I placed an order for the Struck Nerve LP from Youngblood. At the time I had never heard the band, but I was working on the assumption that it would be good, based on the fact I own every Youngblood release and there aren't really any duff ones. Well, all of a sudden a whole year had passed and I didn't have the record yet, but I knew it would come in the end. At some point earlier this year it arrived, but it was then a few more months until I actualy received it.

My Youngblood collection is pretty complete, and I have multiple copies of most releases, but when the preorder for this when live I didn't fancy spending money on three copies of the same record. So I just ordered one copy of the most limited colour, the red vinyl out of 100 copies. I also don't usually listen to records until I have the actual record in my hands, but at some point last year I got tired of waiting and downloaded the LP and listened to the songs a few times. So by thwe time I actually got this record, I'd already got bored of this and moved on.

As dumb as it sounds, one thing I love about this one is the amount of dead wax in the middle of the record. The grooves only take up about 50% of the record, and with this being on red vinyl it totally reminds me of the YOT BDTW LP on Wishingwell. I love to see a lot of dead wax for this very reason.

Well anyway, in July this year Youngblood put up some copies of this record in a limited sleeve that were left over from This Is Hardcore fest. Even though this record hadn't exactly lit up my life, the prospect of owning a limited, numbered sleeve version seemed essential for some reason, so I banged in another order and hoped I wouldn't have to wait another year and a half.

This version is numbered out of 50 copies on the back cover and contains a white vinyl record which was the most common colour, out of 300 copies.

I think I listened to this for a few weeks nearly two weeks ago and wasn't overly excited by it. But I dusted it off again as I wrote this, and today I am blown away by how good it is. True story. A straight edge hardcore LP that has 9 songs and is done in 14 minutes. I need to listen to this more. I also now kinda feel that I wouldn't mind grabbing a clear vinyl copy. Goddamnit, I can already feel that this one could snowball for sure.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm glad that this one is clicking with you now. It is funny how similar our experiences were to that feeling of only needing one copy, and then escalating things to where you need more of them.