Saturday 17 December 2022

How Flowers Grow

It was pretty much exactly a year ago that the Scowl 'How Flowers Grow' LP came out. I remember because at the start of December I visited RevHQ and I saw a few copies sat in bins ready to be mailed out to people who had pre-ordered. Sadly at that point it was already completely sold out. At the time I was so desperate to get a copy that, for a couple of seconds, I thought about stealing one of the copies laying around at Rev. But no, I didn't, and figured I would find one for sale somewhere... which I turned out to be completely wrong about. The first press of 500 sold out in an instant and it was impossible to get a copy. And then eventually, seven months later or so, a second pressing of 1100 copies went up for order... and pretty much sold out in a day or two. Crazy doesn't even start to describe it.

Well, I managed to get one of the second press copies. This yellow vinyl version was the most common colour of the second presss, out of 600 copies. I would have bought the pink copy if it were stil available (which it wasn't), and I could have bought the 'Pearlescent Copper Swirl' (300 copies) but I swerved it because it sounded like it would look like shit, being a swirl and all (although having seen it, it actually looks ok).

It's cool to finally get a copy of this, although now I'm sitting down to type this I realised that it didn't quite have the lastability I thought it would. I listened to it quite a bit last December, but I got a little tired of it quite quickly, and then it fell off of my playlist. I think I just suffered from Scowl overload this year. It felt like they did a lot of tours and played a lot of shows and were constantly showing in my instagram feed, to the point where I just got used to flicking past them. But damn, it really is a great record, no doubt about it.

No comments: