Tuesday 13 December 2022

For Dancing And Listening

Back in the early 90s, one of the first bands I got into was Snuff. They got together in the late 80s and then broke up in 1991, only a year or so after I got into them. My musical tastes changed a lot over the 1992-94 era, so when the singer formed a new band in 1994, I wasn't really interested. I had moved on. That band had a comedy name, which was another reason I ignored them. The band was called Guns 'N' Wankers and they released three 7"s at the same time on a relatively small UK label. I didn't buy them, although one of my friends did. But the bad didn't last too long because around the same time Snuff reformed, and got picked up by Fat Wreck Chords and started to do pretty well.

Well, some of the Guns 'N' Wankers songs got pressed as a 12" by Fat Wreck Chords at around the same time. And then a few years later that 12" got repressed as a 10" for some stupid reason. And then all of those songs got repressed as a 12" in 2019 by a UK label. I guess there are a lot of people out there who still love those songs and don't want to have to deal with 7"s.

Anyway, my friends recently gave me the first press copy of the Fat Wreck 12" from 1994. I had no idea he had this one in his tiny collection, but after getting reacquainted with Snuff earlier this year, I found myself interested.

This is another example of time making all the difference. Back in 1994 when these songs were originally released, I was not interested in this sound at all. I was sick of it and wanted something harder. These days I have a lot of hard sounding music in my collection and often crave something more melodic. Due mainly to the Duncan's distinct vocals, this sounds just like a Snuff record, so I've been loving this one lately, and I feel like a fool for ignoring this for twenty eight bloody years.

No comments: