Saturday 10 December 2022

Your Neighbours Are Failures

Another contender for record of the year that I finally got my hands on is the debut full length from Bitter Branches. The band features Tim Singer on vocals (No Escape, Deadguy, Kiss It Goodbye) and some other older dudes. They released a 12" EP a couple of years ago that I enjoyed, but this record feels like a step forward. I downloaded this one earlier this year and I have played this one a LOT. I may have played this one more than any other new released this year. When it came to buying a physical copy I was put off by the colour vinyl options available, as they seemed to be splatters or swirls and on colours not really matching the artwork. So in the end I just went with one that came with a limited, numbered cover... even though it comes on a splatter colour.

Interestingly, I am pretty sure that this one was not actually pressed at the plant that I hate. There's something about this that looks a little different, and the vinyl feels less like cheap plastic. So my guess is that it was actually pressed somewhere else.

Well anyway, at some point in recent weeks the band posted a pic on instagram of a white vinyl copy of the record, which looked like the most suitable colour of all. So I figured I would get one so that I had a 'regular' copy as well.

At this moment I think I am the only person who has the white one. I got it from the drummer, who I bought some things from on discogs. He told me that the white vinyl hadn't been made available yet, but he had a few and could sell me one. Score.

And on top of the two LPs, I picked up the pink vinyl version of the 7". When these initially came out the band sold a super low number at a show, and consequently everyone was under the impression that only 18 copies existed. But it turned out that there were just 18 sold initially, out of 200 pressed. They just got held back from sale for a few weeks, for no real reason. Anyway, I was happy to get this because we all know that pink is the best colour for records.

No comments: