Thursday 17 November 2022

Shook Ones

A couple of years ago (which was somehow four years!) there was a new Shook Ones album released by Revelation. The band had previously been quiet for 9 years and this was a comeback record. Having just read my post on that record, I do remember really liking it at the time, although I have probably only really listened to it about twice since. Well, given that the band were firmly back on the scene, Rev then decided to repress their first two albums, which were previously released by different labels a long time in the past.

The band's first album 'Sixteen' was originally released back in 2005 by Endwell Records (a label which existed from about 2001-07). I actually remember buying the tour version of this one somewhere around 2006. And 16 years later I am adding two more copies of 'Sixteen' to my collection. Who'd have thought?

There were two colours of this one, neither pressed in particularly large numbers. There were 164 on orange and 540 on purple.

The 3rd album is called 'The Unquotable A.M.H.' (and I have no idea what the title means) and was originally released back in 2009 by a label called Paper + Plastick, a label which it seems was owned by the drummer of Less Than Jake. Interestingly, the band's 2nd album was put out by Rev back in 2006, so I'm guessing this move to a new label was an attempt to get more attention. So it seems kinda funny that it ended up being given a reissue on Rev thirteen years after it's initial release. Despite owning the band's other albums, this one had completely passed me by and I had no idea it even existed until this repress was announced. Crazy how that happens sometimes huh?

.

This one was pressed on two colours too. There were 160 on peach vinyl and 703 on salmon vinyl. I'm not entirely sure which colour is which, as one of mine is distinctly pink, which to me is neither peach nor salmon.

The thing that I have probably said about Shook Ones before is that they are one of those bands who get better with each release. So if I were to rank their records in order of preference, it runs backwards from the latest to the first. So Rev represseing this was the kick I needed to finally listen to the their third album for the first time after all these years. I may even look at picking up an original pressing out of curiosity if I can find a cheap one, although it's probably not necessary.

No comments: