Saturday 19 November 2022

In Vain

Even though I have been trying to minimise the number of reissues I was buying for quite a few years, there are still exceptions that crop up regularly. When It's Alive Records announced a colour vinyl repress of the Visual Discrimination 'In Vain' EP, I found myself instantly ordering a copy.

'In Vain' was originally released by Nemesis Records back in 1990. Back when I was first getting into buying hardcore records, Nemesis was a label that I latched on to fairly early on, and the Visual Discrimination 12"s were amongsth the first few releases that I bought. OK, they weren't the greateest band in the world, but they hold a place in my heart and I get nostalgic about their records when I see them. And even though Nemesis pressed lots of records on colour vinyl (and a few of their records on multiple colours), 'In Vain' was only ever pressed on black. So I figured that a colour vinyl copy on a differnt label would still be kinda cool.

As usual, this one came in a mylar sleeve sealed with stickers. I managed to open it without any damage to the stickers. SHame I didn't figure this technique a couple of years ago when I bought the first of these It's Alive releases.

The record is on a nice blue marble colour vinyl. I mean, I'd probably have chosen white, clear or grey, but it still looks good.

The paper inner sleeve is printed and hand numbered, and the b-side label is also hand written. It's a great touch to remind you at all times that this was made DIY style by a one man operation. Also, one thing that is interesting about this one is that the back cover of this pressing is completely different to the original version. I should really have taken a pic of the two side by side, but nevermind.

As with every It's Alive release of the last couple of years, this one is absolutely stuffed full of stickers, posters, inserts etc. The 'value for money' box is well and truly ticked.

If you haven't heard this record then it's worth checking out. An old (almost) forgotten CA hardcore gem, and I think it has aged pretty well.

No comments: