Friday 28 May 2021

Out Of Touch

I bought a record from the singer of Sinking Ships on discogs a while back, and took the opportunity to ask if he had any spare records of his band left at all. I have a few Sinking Ships records, and I know that there are still loads of versions of the various records that I am missing. I figured they are one of many bands who are now less well remembered, so the records should be a lot cheaper than they were back at their peak circa 2007/8. It turned out that he only had a couple of spare records, but I didn't have either, which worked out quite well.

First up is the 'Safe / Revenge' 7". This one was self released by the band back in 2007. It was their first release after 'leaving' Revelation Records. Unlike all of their previous releases, there was no colour vinyl and no limited sleeves. ALl of these were just pressed on black vinyl

I do quite like how the whole package is so minimal. Kinda reminds me of some of the screamo records of the mid 90s.

I also picked up the gold vinyl version of the final 7". I remember when this came out back in 2008. It felt that it wasn't 'properly' released, but copies just started appearing. According to the info on discogs, there were 250 blue vinyl copies sold at Sound & Fury festival, and 250 gold vinyl copies sold via mailorder.

This is what record collecting is about to me. Just waiting to pick something up until the price is right... even if that does happen to be 12 years later. Judging by the speed I am acquiring Sinking Ships records, I should be on track to have a complete collection just in time for my 90th birthday.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Funny that you posted this as I just picked up my first piece of Sinking Ships vinyl recently.