Wednesday 12 May 2021

Oblivion Songs

Another Rot In Hell record that I had missed for whatever reason, 'Oblivion Songs' was originally released as a very limited cassette back in 2018. Then in 2019 it got pressed onto vinyl, on the format everyone loves to hate, the ten inch. But despite the inferior format choice, the packaging on this one is really great. So straight away, there's a kind of obi strip:

The highlight of this record is the label, above. It features a photo of Atko with Les Battersby from 'Coronation Street'. If there are any Americans reading this, I wouldn't know where to start on this. But it's brilliant.

There are only 3 songs on here which feels like not much, but the third 'song' is almost 8 minutes long.

I'm not sure of the pressing info on this, but as well as the orange vinyl there is also a black vinyl version, which for some reason is missing from discogs. In the picture I have included the other bits from the package, being an insert and sticker, both drawn by the same artist that did the cover... which I believe also plays bass in the band these days.

I also picked up a test press of this release. It's an interesting one. It comes with a special cover, which and the record itself sits within a vintage record sleeve with the RIH logo sprayed across it. I'm not sure where the old sleeve came from and how old it is, but it smells awful. I feel the need to leave it outside to air for a few days in the hope of eliminating the stench.

The inside of the cover has a hand painted skull design, which I think looks great. It's just a shame that the paint used has made the paper go a little bit wrinkled.

The test contains the same insert and sticker as the regular pressing, but there are also some additional items thrown in - a badge / pin, a Grot sticker and a sealed envelope which according to discogs contains some incense sticks.

What I have failed to mention to this point is that this release sees Rot In Hell playing their original holy terror style sound. I always think that I prefer the acoustic songs these days, although when I listed to this version of the band I change my mind. It's a tough call. But good that they're still cranking out this stuff after all these years.

No comments: