Monday 24 May 2021

I Look, We Look

It's been a while since I added anything to my Bane collection. And this 7" was never particularly high on the want list. But I bought a few 7"s recently, and the seller also had this for the price of a bar of chocolate, so I decided to grab it.

This is a compilation 7" featuring Bane and 3 other bands (Capgun, Driven, The Rolemodels). It was released in 1997, which would have been before Bane got signed to EVR. But they were still 'big' enough to make the front cover.

So the main reason I picked up this 7" was because it is different to the one other version I have. And until I placed them next to each other, I never really appreciated the difference between them. It'a almost like a game of 'spot the difference' but in 7" record format.

For a start, the layout has changed completely. But the weirdest thing of all is that the title of the record has changed on the cover. The black vinyl version that I have just picked up is called 'As WE Look To The Future', whereas the blue vinyl copy is called 'As I Look To The Future'. But the labels on both records have the 'We' version, which suggests that the 'I' version is wrong. But does this mean that the blue vinyl 'I' version this was the first press and nobody spotted the error initially, and it was then corrected with the next version. Or does it mean that the black 'We' version was first, and then when they changed the layout on the second pressing they made a mistake? If anyone knows, please comment.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Strange about the title, but I'm more curious if anyone has ever heard of the three bands not named Bane on this record.

Jeff said...

The way it was explained to me by the gentleman who released the comp is that the “WE” title is the correct title and the black vinyl version with the “WE” cover was the original pressing and layout. It was later repressed on blue and black vinyl with the new layout on the cover with the incorrect “I” title. The mistake was noticed but by then it was decided that correction wasn’t necessary and here we are.

Ralf said...

Nice. Next on the menu: the numbered + stamped version.

mcs said...

Thanks, Jeff. That's interesting info.

I had no idea there was numbered & stamped version. Maybe one day...

Ralf said...

Check Kyle Whitlow‘s blog for detailed information.