Tuesday 23 February 2021

New Age Catch Up: Cutting Through

Day 2 of my New Age Records 'catch up', based on a recent(ish) experience where I went to buy a 7" from their store and got sucked into buying a lot more.

Today's installment is the Cutting Through 'Empathy' 7". This one came out in 2018 during a point where it felt like New Age were putting up a new pre-order every other week, and I just lost track, so I missed this completely. I do have a vivid memory of seeing a stack of these for sale at RevHQ on the day that I visited back in August 2018, and I did manage to grab one (gold) copy of this 7" a few months later when I had a similar splurge in the New Age webstore, but I was missing the 77 pressing.

So I was pretty stoked to see the 77 pressing for sale, and I grabbed one quicksmart.

Unlike every other 77 pressing that the label have released, this one is actually numbered on the additional paper sleeve that wraps around the regular sleeve:

This time around the 77 pressing is pressed on the more common colour for this release, being the 'blue' vinyl (/300).

There was also a test press up for sale, which was going for too good a price to say resist. It has some really neat & tidy writing on the label as you can see:

I have to say it, but I am really into this band. There's something here which is more interesting than most. The singer was in Fired Up, the guitarist was in Get The Most and Blue Monday, and to me the song writing is definitely more mature than the average hardcore band. The songs slowly build rather than blast out, and definitely feel slightly more melodic. So good.

A bit of a theme for the week, here's a pic of all 3 copies together. The test, the 77 pressing, and the gold vinyl (/200) version.

2 comments:

Nico said...

Both Cutting Through records are great.

Mike said...

I really wanted to like this band, but when I checked them out it just didn't hook me. Maybe I need to revisit them...