Monday 23 December 2019

New Age Catch Up

Another set of records that I picked up earlier in the year but never got around to putting up here. Today's post features a bunch of 7"s from New Age Records that I think I picked up in about April. At the time I'd pretty much given up on New Age, as I had missed out on a few of the limited 77 pressings, and it just felt as if I was so far behind that it would be impossible to catch up. But then the label posted that they had put a few extra 77 pressings up in their webstore, so I grabbed them and checked out fast.

The first 7" I was really stoked on, as I had heard great things about it and been listening to it for a couple of months. The Debut release from Restraining Order. I remember seeing a stack of these on a shelf at RevHQ when I visited last year, but the limited pressing was long sold out. So it was cool to grab one for 'new release' price.

I also grabbed a purple vinyl copy too. Purple was the more common color from the first press, but it looks great I think.

Next up, the 77 pressing for the debut 7" by The Dividing Line, 'Turn My Back On The World'.

The Dividing Line are a straight edge band from somewhere in New Jersey, and they vaguely remind me of Floorpunch, as both bands have a larger gentleman on vocal duty. They also apparently play weddings.

I've been really enjoying this 7" lately, and I hope the band release more music in the new year.

Next up, the Drug Control 'Clean Slate' 7". I picked up the 77 pressing, and also the red vinyl copy. Not sure why I picked up two of these but only one Dividing Line 7", but hey.

I liked this record way more than their first 7".

Once I had picked up the above three 77 pressings, I figured I was back in the New Age game and also picked up two other releases that I had completely missed out on. First up, the Cutting Through 'Empathy' 7" on gold vinyl / 200.

I had really enjoyed the previous 12" that New Age put out, although I wasn't as into this 7". Not sure why. It just didn't seem to stand out for any reason.

And finally, the Decline 'Own Your Words' 7" on gold /300.

This one really rips, and if I had actually picked it up when it came out then I'm sure it would have made my best of the year list.

Overall it's good to see a label that was huge when I was first getting into this stuff still going, and signing up some great young straight edge bands. Far better than relying on the releases from the past. And since this post New Age have put out some more cool records too, which I hope to get my hands on and feature next year at some point.

2 comments:

Willem RWHAF said...

Hi mcs, I am still looking for the Blackened Persistance on blue... Willing to work out a deal if you want to.

Ralf said...

New Age has released some really good records as of late.