Friday 30 October 2020

Postcard Memoirs

Installment 10 of my recent haul from a friend who has decided to sell his collection.

Today's post is a 7" by what must surely be a contender for the best band of all time, Inside. They were from Long Island and active in the late 90s. They play a style of emo that was kinda typical of the era, although they did it very, very well. To me, this is proper emo, not whatever that term came to mean as time rolled on. They put out 3 different 7"s and a full length and then broke up. Anyone who knows this band generally likes them a LOT. You'll see what I mean if you watch the video I have added at the end.

This 7" is a limited cover version of their second 7" on Motherbox Records, originally released in 1997. In all my years I had never seen this before, so I was very happy to be able to get my hands on it.

OK, so it's cool because it's rare, but it's hardly the best designed or best looking record cover I've ever seen. But what I do like, as stupid as it sounds, are the little hand written labels that have been taped to the record's labels to denote whether it's side A or B.

This record also comes with a little insert which explains the reason for this cover existing, as well as a weird sticker.

The insert reads as follows:

Due to the UPS strike of nineteen ninety seven our original covers are somewhere between our sisyer country Canada and here so I hope you enjoy these home made on the spot creations.

To end this post, I thought I would link to a video from a reunion show the band played in 2004. What I love about this video is that you can just feel the excitement in the room. These kids are all stoked as fuck to be seeing this band. It reminds me of the pure emotion that can pour out at these shows and makes me sad that I haven't been to a show and felt this level of excitement for a long time. I'd give 5 grand to be able to go back in time and attend this show. If anyone has a time machine, get at me.

No comments: