Saturday 31 October 2020

Between A Rock And A Hard Place

Installment 11 of my recent haul from a friend who has decided to sell his collection, aka the final installment.

Today's post is a test press of a forgotten compilation 7" from the late 90s called 'Between A Rock And A Hard Place'. It was released on a label called Witching Hour Records (which makes it an apt post for today's date) in 1997. It's not oevrly exciting to look at as it comes in a plain paper sleeve.

I picked up a copy of this compilation from a local distro when it came out purely because it had a hot new hardcore band on it that I was really into at the time. The band was called Cave In. This compilation features one of their early songs which later appeared on their 'Beyond Hypothermia' 12". It also features 3 other bands - Reversal Of Man, The End Of The Century Party and Roswell. The cover of the other copy I have looks like this:

Until today I had only ever seen the copy of this that I own, and I assumed all copies were the same. But today I learnt that there are several different covers for this record. I also learnt that the blue vinyl copy I have is pretty rare.

As I was laying these records out to take this photo I noticed the X on the singer of Cave In's hand on one of the photos on the insert. I actually never knew that there was any remote link to straight edge with this band at all, so seeing this today was kinda cool. You learn something new every day I guess.

2 comments:

Graham said...

I’ve got a different sleeve - the “1 soldier” version that’s on discogs

Mike said...

The original singer ended up leaving Cave In to play bass(?) in Ten Yard Fight for a little while. Yeah, when they first came around, they were definitely a straight edge band.