Sunday, 20 September 2026

Vanity Spawned By Fear

Hot on the heels of my last two posts about Ceremony albums released in 2026 is another Ceremony record that came out a few years ago that I am finally getting around to listening to. 'Vanity Spawned By Fear' is a two song 12" that came out in 2022, three years after the last album 'In The Spirit World Now'. I had absolutely no idea that this even existed until recently, although I think it's fari to say that I had well and truly written Ceremony off a few years before this came out anyway, so now I'm playing catch up. It seems kinda crazy to be buying a 12" that contains only two songs, but my first impression is that this thing looks really cool.

Just like all Relapse Records releases, this is one of only 100 copies on clear vinyl ('not available to the public - Friends of band and label only').

Even though I have really enjoyed the last two Ceremony albums, I was slightly horrified when I first heard this. The first song sounds so incredibly 80s, but not in a hardcore way. It just sounds like some typical 80s chart/dance song, even down to the female backing singer and saxophone (!) solo. By contrast, the second song is just so minimal that it barely counts as a song. I was thinking 'what the hell is going on?'. A week on, however, and I'm loving this, especially the second song ('California Poppy'). I can see that this may have been off putting to even die hard Ceremony fans, so interested to hear what others think.

No comments: