Friday, 18 September 2026

Live At The Hollywood Paladium

The last couple of years have seen me elevate my appreciation of Ceremony to a new level. A few years back I wrote them off and gave up on them, and now here I am confidently saying that they are one of my favourite current bands. Every record sounds different but they're all great. There really isn't much else to say.

That said, however, it's always a test of loyalty when a band you love comes out with a live LP. Do I love Ceremony? Yes. Do I want to buy a Ceremoney live double LP? Well, not really. But would I be more interested if I had a chance to get one of the copies on clear vinyl limited to 100 copies ('not available to the public - Friends of band and label only')? Oh, go on then...

This was recorded live at the Hollywood Palladium on February 24th 2024, and was released this year two years to the day from the show taking place. The show was a celebration of the 2010 LP 'Rohnert Park' (which incidentally I decided was my record of the year in 2010) There's a photo on the insert of the venue on the day of the show, which I think is a nice touch.

This is a double LP (or, more accurately, a 'one and a half' LP as the second disc is one sided). The first record is basically just the 'Rohnert Park' album played live in its entirety, in order. Apparently the capacity of the Hollywood Paladium is 3,700 to 4,000 people, and you can kinda tell when you hear the crowd singalongs at various points.

The second record contains a random selection of other songs from other records, including 'Kersed' (the first song from their first 7") which is a top notch hardcore song in my book.

The flipside of the second record is a screen printed picture of the bass drum. It's not overly exciting.

This is a well put together live record, and I would think that this is a perfect souvenir of a great night out for anyone who actually went to this show. I listened to it once, and it was ok, but the reality is that I probably won't need to listen to this again. Pretty standard for a live LP of a show you weren't at I suppose.

No comments: