Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Government Issue

I feel like I started a whole bunch of new collections these past couple of years. There are some bands that I started buying records by that I wasn't previously too bothered about, and then I set myself a goal to pick up whatever by them. One of them is Government Issue. It all started last year when I ended up picking up 6 of their LPs from a UK seller. I then figured that I would keep an eye out for any that I was missing. Here we are a year later, and I recently picked up another to help move this little collection one step forward.

The latest acquisition is the 3rd studio full length. This one is self-titled, and was originally released by Fountain Of Youth Records in 1986.

According to discogs, this red vinyl version is a slightly later press from 1988 on the same label. But it's the earliest colour vinyl pressing that there is, so it's the one I wanted.

This one definitely sounds different to the previous records, and I think is my favourite so far. It's a good balance between hardcore and melodic. It also sounds (and looks) very 80s, which for me is a good thing. These days I generally love anything which looks or sounds 80s, which is in stark contrast to how I used to think in the 90s (which was that anything from the 80s felt very dated). Go figure.

Anyway, this now means that I only have another one to find ('You') and possibly a live LP which I am less bothered about.

No comments: