Thursday, 24 September 2026

Bad Stuff

Another record that I was given for free recently when I bought a bunch of Relapse Records releases was an album by a band called Bad Stuff. I saw the cover and immediately thought to myself 'what the fuck is this?' as it just looks like something that I would flip past in a record shop assuming it is firmly not for me.

The photo of the band on the back cover also strongly suggests that this is absolutely not for me. Upon first glance, I couldn't imagine what kind of sound this collection of people would make, but the signs were not positive.

I had immediately decided that I would sell this for whatever I could get, and hoped that the fact that I had a clear vinyl ('not available to the public - Friends of band and label only') copy might mean that some fool might be be willing to take it off my hands. So I decided to look online to see if it had any value. Sadly the clear vinyl version didn't have a listing on discogs so I couldn't tell what it may be worth, but it didn't look like there was much demand for the other colour versions, so I assumed it probably wasn't going to be worth too much. I then figured I would click the link to listen to a song just out of curiosity.

Well this is where the story changes, because I ended up listening to the whole thing and then being disappointed when it ended. I think the fact that I was listening to this late at night in low light really helped add to the atmostphere. I have no idea how to describe this, other than it sounds like the soundtrack to some weird David Lynch film or something. The bandcamp pages describes states that 'the LP mines the shadowy corners of goth rock, slowcore, rockabilly, and synth-driven pop' and which is probably more useful than my description.

So yeah, really interesting stuff and I'm so glad that I gave this a chance. I've also been exporing a band called True Widow that a couple of the members were in prior to this band. It's ballpark similar but still quite different being more shoegaze. I'm now contemplating buying one of their records. Funny how things turn out sometimes huh?

No comments: