Thursday, 17 September 2026

Tell Me Your Dream

My last two posts (Deadguy & Staticlone) were 2025 releases from Relapse Records. I was insistent on owning these on clear vinyl, which is always the most limited and nicest looking colour of anything they press, especially given that they press everything at my least favourite pressing plant. All clear vinyl copies are limited to 100 copies which are (quote) 'not available to the public - Friends of band and label only'. So when I picked those up, I decided to make a play for a few other Relapse releases on clear vinyl because, as all self-respecting record nerds know, there's no point in buying one record from someone when you could buy several. It's just not an efficient use of the postal system. So I made a list of Relapse releases that I wanted, which turned out to be quite a long list and added up to a decent wedge of cash. I tried to reduec the list down a bit, but in the end I just ended up pulling the trigger on the whole lot.

At the top of my list of wants was the new album by Ceremony. In early 2025 I fell in love with their 2019 LP 'In the Spirit World Now', so I was excited to hear their latest offering as soon as possible, rather than sit back and wait for six years or so to pass.

This one is titled 'Tell Me Your Dream' and was released on 7th August this year. It's their 7th album in twenty (!) years.

Back in April one of the songs from this LP ('Other Hells') was put up online. It sounded like (and was being touted as) a return to their more hardcore sound. Given every Ceremony record sounds like a different band, I was expecting something very different with this record, and possibly a bit of a step backwards to a 'Rohnert Park' type sound. But no, that's not really the case. Aside from that one song, this sounds just like the last album to me, and it has taken hold of me in a similar way. I cannot stop listening to this at the moment and it's definitely going to be a strong contender for record of the year for me.

No comments: