Monday 30 October 2023

Razorblade Suitcase

So I bought a bunch of Revelation and Equal Vision Records test presses from some dude earlier this year, and when they arrived it turns out that he had thrown in something extra - an unmarked test press with the standard Rainbo Records labels. I was initially excited, and then immediately disappointed, as I put the matrix into discogs to then find out that it was the second album by Bush, titled 'Razorblade Suitcase'.

This record was released by Interscope Records in November 1996, and wikipedia tells me that it sold 293,000 copies in it's first week in the United States, which saw it debut at number one in the Billboard 200. So yeah, it seems that this record was a pretty frickin' big deal when it first came out.

I had never herd this record before, so can't take a photo of it next to the regular copy, so here's an image I grabbed from the internet of the cover art for this record, which is most notable for featuring neaither a razorblade nor a suitcase.

I was vaguely aware of Bush in the 90s. What I recall was that they were a British band, but they were practically unknown over here, yet somehow they were absolutely huge in the States. Back then I had zero interest in them. But being sent this test press I thought I'd give it a chance.

After a couple of listens, I really started to enjoy this record. It sounds even more like Nirvana than Nirvana do, which at this time in my life I am really into. It's a little longer than I like, but I've been mainly listening to this one during the working day, so length is less of an issue.

I've also been reading a little bit about this band online, and there are a couple of hardcore connections to this. Firstly, that Revelation handled the pressing of this record on behalf of Interscope. One day I'll ask how this arrangement ended up happening. Secondly, the band broke up in 2002 but then reformed in 2010, and the current line up features Chris Traynor, who previously played in Fountainhead and Orange 9mm.

My initial plan was to put this on discogs for a stupidly high price and invite offers to see if anyone was interested. But after listening to this for the past 3 months or so and loving it, I decided to keep it. But if someone wants to offer me a lot of money for it, I could consider letting it go. Maybe.

1 comment:

Screaming For Records said...

Of all the bands I thought I’d never see on this blog Bush rank pretty high. Excellent write up though Marcus!