Thursday 26 October 2023

Dicknail

WHen I finally got around to picking up a Nirvana 'Sliver / Dive' 7" (as per my last post), I started thinking about other older Sub Pop releases. I remember back in the early 90s when the label was blowing up that there were a lot of big bands of the time who had 7"s put out by the label. A lot of them I have, but there are a few that I never really was too fussed about back int he day. But now I feel nostalgic and feel that I want to pick up smoe of the 7"s that I wasn't overly fussed about when I was young.

So the natural next step after the Nirvana 7" was the Hole 7". There are quite a few different colours of this one out there, but I wasn't particularly fussed which version I got. I decided that the solid pink vinyl would be fine, largely because it was being sold by a UK seller.

I do love solid pink vinyl. Definitely up there as one of the best colours of vinyl. ANd it seems like a great match to the text on the front cover, and pretty apt for a band that was three quarters female.

As I am sure everyone knows, the singer of Hole was Courtney Love, who ended up marrying Kurt Cobain. I was never interested in Hole back when this came out as there was zero appealing about them, and I figured that they mainly got coverage just because Kurt Cobain's wife was in the band. As I mentioned, I mainly just wanted this for the Sub Pop collection, but I have to acknowledge that the two songs here are really good. Without a shadow of a doubt I would listen to more Hole. In 2023 this sounds incredible to me. Funny how much difference 30 years makes huh?

No comments: