Monday 23 October 2023

Sliver

In all my years of collecting records I have very few regrets. There are a few things over the years that I let go that I wish I hadn't, but if I had to count how many it would probably be less than 10. A few things I sold and then a few years later I bought back. But there's a small handful of things that I wish I'd kept that I still didn't manage to reacquire.

Nirvana is an impossible band to collect, and there is no way I would bother. However, the one record that I would mess with is the 'Sliver / Dive' 7". There are quite a few different coloured vinyl copies, and most of them aren't too expensive, especially when compared to some of the rarer Revelation items that I am stupid enough to try to collect. For a few years I have wanted a copy of this record to replace the one I sold in the early 90s, and recently I spotted one for a good price and made a fast move.

This copy on clear vinyl is a second pressing. It comes in a glued card sleeve rather than a paper fold over version that the first press copies came in. The copy I used to own in 1992 was part of the same pressing, although I used to have a turquoise copy. So this is a fair replacement.

And then of course, whilst shopping around I also then found a clear yellow copy going on eBay for what looked like a great price. This colour is much rarer, although still not one of the real top end rare versions.

There are only 2 songs on this 7", but as far as Nirvana songs go, they are up there for me amongst the best. It came out after the first album 'Bleach' but before 'Nevermind' came out and changed the world. This was also recorded before Dave Grohl joined the band, and before they got picked up by a major label. And as you can see, it's a Sub Pop 7" with the classic label design and large centre hole. And whilst I thought I would have been happy to pick up just one color copy of this 7", all of a sudden I can feel myself wanting to collect more. Because hey, if there's one thing I need in my life it's another record to collect...

1 comment:

Mike said...

I don't know these Nirvana songs, but I want to check them out just because the colored vinyl on this single looks so good.