Thursday 27 April 2023

Fumble

No matter how much time you spend listening to music, it is impossible to listen to everything, and as a result it's easy to overlook stuff for a long time. Here we are in 2023 and I've only just got around to hearing this 1993 LP by Scream for the first time.

I've had the first two Scream LPs in my collection for a number of years, but I was never really overly interested in hearing anything later simply because I had made the assumption that it would be weak. Still, when this recent yellow vinyl repress popped up, I figured I'd grab one along with the Hammered Hulls LP mainly just because I was in the mood to buy records.

Well, what an absolute moron I was for ignoring this for so long. I put this on and within about 20 seconds it was clear that this is a great record. The first song sounds kinda like Bad Brains, and the rest of the record sounds bigger than anything else I have ever heard by Scream. It is such a huge step forward from 'This Side Up'

This record features some dude called Dave Grohl on drums, and there's one song that he sings on too. I had always assumed that Dave joining Scream was towards the end of their career and him joining the band pretty much marked the end. But goddamn I was so wrong. I think I have had this for two weeks now, and I have listened to it at least once a day in that time. So not only is this my favourite Scream record, it's also my favourite record that I have heard in months. Shame it came out 30 years ago else it would definitely have been my record of the year. Still, better late than never right?

2 comments:

Mike said...

Interesting. Like you, I've ignored this Scream record. Maybe it is time for me to check it out as well.

Nico said...

I enjoy this record more by each passing year. I think it might be an age thing for me.