Tuesday 4 April 2023

Knife Manual

This is another record that I was gifted by an old friend which may originally have been mine. A split 7" between Mudhoney and Gas Huffer, which came out in 1992 at a time when Mudhoney were on a high, having been signed to a major label and potentially on the brink of blowing up.

I originally bought one of these in HMV in Southend on the way home from school one day. I remember being really excited by how rad it looked. At that time I had never seen anything that looked like this.

Turns out that the label that released this made a shitload of these sawblade shaped records. This was the first, and then after this they put out loads of the damn things, all of them splits and all on colour vinyl. Kinda cool I guess, although having trawled through the list of them on discogs, none that interest me. Which is good, because I'm trying to collect too much already.

The songs on this are good fun. Each band plays one cover song. Mudhoney do 'You Stupid Asshole' (originally by Angry Samoans) and Gas Huffer do 'Knife Manual' (originally by some obscure band called Silly Killers). I also really like the artwork, with both bands dressed up in martial arts outfits and posing for photos. Always good to see that two bands on a split 7" have met up in real life.

No comments: