Monday 3 April 2023

Slip 30

It can be easy to get sucked into hype these days. I saw the posts about the 30th anniversary pressing of Quicksand's 'Slip' LP go up online and I went to have a look at what was on offer, and was surprised to see that they all sold out in the blink of an eye. So when I saw that RevHQ were getting 500 copies on yellow vinyl, I figured that maybe I should grab one, because if I left it a day or two the option probably wouldn't be there anymore.

Well, I did actually leave it too long and it was sold out, but then it turned out that a UK distro got some copies from Rev, so I was able to get one from there. Although it ended up being a bit more expensive than I was expecting.

As soon as this arrived I felt my enthusiasm drop. I'd never be remotely interested in the previous reissue of this record that came out back in 2012 because I have my first press copy from when this was originally released in 1993. But also partly because those copies were pressed on pretty gross vinyl colours. And when I opened this, I thought that the yellow looks pretty lame as it's pressed on crappy, cheap looking vinyl. But at least it doesn't look as bad as most of the other colours it got pressed on this time around.

I'm not sure what the lesson is here for me, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell this in the near future to someone who is a little less fussy about these things than I am. As long as I can get the money back that I paid then it's not a total disaster.

3 comments:

Willem Termote said...

I would be happy to pick up a copy of this record...

Mike said...

As someone that only owns the 2012 reissue, this yellow vinyl looks sharp! Ha!

Anonymous said...

2012 reissues look and sound superb. Having bought several coloured variants of the 2023 30th Anniversary pressings, the 2012 presses sound far better.