Wednesday 15 February 2023

Sweetbelly Freakdown

A couple of months ago I was driving my car when my phone lit up with a couple of messages from Nico. He seemed pretty desperate to get hold of me. When I eventually parked up and read the message, he was trying to alert me to a test press being sold on discogs for cheap. To be fair, he had found a great item at a good price, and I'm really grateful that he flagged it to me. And here we are:

Released on Jade Tree Records, catalogue number 1032. This is a test press for a full length LP by a band called Sweetbelly Freakdown. The band contained all of the final 4 members of legendary DC band Swiz. So you know, it sounds a little bit like Swiz... although in my opinion the songs on here aren't quite in the same league. The record was released in 1997, and a couple of years later the band was formerly done.

Pictured above is the test press with the regular cover. I've always really loved the artwork on the cover of this one. And whilst the record isn't quite a match for the power of Swiz, the first song here is an absolute banger, with an opening cry of 'Help me Obi Wan Kenobi!'. Yup, this is a pretty nice one to have for sure. Thanks Nico !

2 comments:

Mike said...

Very cool! I rediscovered this album last year, and I've been desperate to pick up the vinyl for it. Now if someone would just sell it to me for a good price. An underrated record for sure.

Nico said...

To quote an old Manchester saying: "the pleasure, the privilege is mine"