Saturday 22 October 2022

White Trash

At the start of this year I was selling the collection of a friend of mine and decided to keep some NOFX LPs for myself. There were 4 LPs that I kept, which were the first 5 albums that they released with the exception of the 4th one. This then felt like a gap that I should fill, so I kept my eye on eBay and discogs hoping I would get one. I did watch one on eBay but it sold for more than I wanted to pay. I kinda hoped that I would grab an old black vinyl copy for cheap but getting anything that is remotely 'old' for a good price seems increasingly difficult. So when I saw that there was a 30th anniversary pressing coming out, I figured that maybe I could just pick one of those instead. It was cheaper to buy a new colour pressing than an old black one. So I just went with that option. But I wanted to make sure I got a colour that looked acceptable and not one of the more modern looking splatter options.

This version seems to be known as 'magenta', even though to me it just looks pink. And to me this looks and feels like it was pressed at a good old fashioned US plant, although some of the colours look like they come from a low quality european establishment. WHich is weird because I would have thought that if Epitaph were using a euro plant, that they would supply the european countries with the stuff from there, and supply the US with the stuff from the US. But it almost feels like they have done the opposite. Although it is possible I have it wrong about what was pressed where I suppose.

Anyway, I always had it in my head that this is the best NOFX record. I somehow knew the song 'Something Sticking In My Eye'. I guess I must have heard it or seen the video in the 90s. But I'm not so sure that this is the best one of the five. The joke version of the song 'straight edge' is ok a couple of times, but once you've heard it it just feels like it breaks up the flow of the record. Anyway, none of this really matters too much. I'm happy enough to have filled another collection hole... and a collection that I would not have been able to predict this time last year.

No comments: