Thursday 6 October 2022

Hello Sun

Two days ago I went to see Be Well play in London. They were supposed to come over in November last year but the tour got cancelled so finally, two years after their debut album dropped in the midst of the shitshow that was 2020, they finally made it to Europe. They played early and they played a relatively short set, but they sounded great. The songs sounded harder than on the record, probably bacause the vocals were a little lower in the mix. Anyway, they had a few copies of the tour press of their last record, so I picked one up to help complete my collection, which reminded me that I hadn't got around to posting this one yet.

'Hello Sun' is a 6 song EP that came out in May this year, simultaneously released by two labels. Revelation handled the US pressing, whilst End Hits Records put it out in Europe. I picked up the three Rev versions mainly because I wanted to keep my Rev collection as complete as possible.

The clear vinyl copy is the nicest looking of the bunch, but is also the most common, with 1,000 copies pressed.

Like a lot of records these days, this record is a single sided 12" with a screen printed b-side.

Well, as I mentioned, there were three versions... or so I thought. Because the tour version I picked up two days ago was a fourth version. Here's a pic of the four from the front:

Shown clockwise from the top left are:
White w/ cyan sunburst vinyl (RevHQ exclusive /300)
White with black and yellow splatter vinyl (Indie store exclusive /300)
Clear vinyl (1000)
Clear vinyl with yellow inside (Tour version /???)

And here's a pic of the same four from the back:

And as if that wasn't enough, I also managed to get a test press. For anyone who knows anything about records and has eyes, the photos above make it pretty obvious where this was pressed. Yup, this one came out of the pressing plant that I don't like, and this record is the first I have seen from there with a logo label.

I've listened to this one a lot over the past couple of months. It's only 6 songs and is done in 18 minutes, so it fits in nicely as a short break when you don't have time for a full record. I think that where I got to with this record is that I like it, but don't rate it as highly as the full length. It's a bit more melodic, and one of the songs is kinda corny. But my biggest issue is simply that it is 6 songs. I mean, add four more and call it an album? At least that way it would feel like better value for money, which seems to be becoming an increasingly important issue with prices these days.

Oh yeah, and also I've just realised that there is actually a fifth colour vinyl version that I don't have, which is highly annoying. Although it's not as bad as the End Hits pressing, for which there appear to be 10 different colours, none of which I plan to pick up.

No comments: