Tuesday 23 August 2022

Hot Shit Attitude

Way back before the internet, it was difficult to hear bands without buying records or CDs unless you had friends who you could tape stuff from (which I never did). So compilations were a good way to 'sample' lots of different bands before making that cash investment in a physical product. I think that in Germany they efer to compilationss as 'samplers' which I kinda like. But anyway, it seems to me that compilations are pretty unneccessary these days. Ok, so a lot of them contain exclusive songs, but even so, you can no doubt listen to them on bandcamp or spotify or whatever. Plus comps are sometimes a tough listen because there are likely to be songs that seem out of place. But still, comps can be good fun, and provide a nice varied listen. A couple of years ago, Blackout! Records put out a compilation LP called 'Hot Shit Attitude' which features various 'current' bands (i.e. ones that were current about 4 years ago) playing Outburst covers. I was buying some records from Rev a while ago and was looking to see what else I could add to my cart, so I picked one up this comp on a whim.

I really like how this is made out to look like something from the 80s and bears absolutely no resemblance to either a hardcore record nor the Outburst 7". I also love pink vinyl. As someone said recently, it is the best colour for a record. Well, except clear.

There are 13 songs on here, which includes covers of all 7 songs from the Outburst 7" (played in a completely different order), 4 songs from the demo, and the two songs from the 'New York Hardcore Where The Wild Things Are' LP. Some of the bands I was already familiar with to some extent (Wild Side, Search, Krimewatch, Higher Power, Fury, Stand Off) and some I had never heard before (Initiate, Mizery, Big Boss, Outskirts). All the covers are played pretty faithfully, and actually a lot of these sound harder than the originals, which I think is down to the whole thing sounding like it is mixed better than the original (I always thought that the vocals were too loud). So yeah, overall a pretty cool record really.

No comments: