Monday 1 November 2021

Inflatable Dream

Another longstanding want crossed off the list is this rare Cave In 7". It was probably only about 8-10 years ago that I found out that this thing existed, and at the time it felt like it would be impossible to find. In the end it wasn't too bad. A friend picked this up almost 4 years ago, but for various reasons I have only just received it.Technology played a huge part in acquiring this one, and I think if I could go back in time and tell myself how I would get this I would blow my own mind. A friend of mine was visiting LA and went into Amoeba Records, and took a photo of some records that were on the wall, and sent it to me, asking if I needed anything. I got the photo on my phone when I was on the train home from work. I drew around this record and sent it back. Five minutes later I got a message to confirm that my friend had bought it for me. I mean, I know that this technology isn't new, but given I spent a big portion of my life without it, it still amazes me at times. I mean, there I was on my way home from work and askimg a human who was over 5,000 miles away to pick up a 7" for me in real time.

This is a test press for a Cave In 7" that was never actually released properly. The 'sleeve' is made of flower pressed paper, and on the front it states that it is an 'edition of 25'. It was put together by Hydrahead Records and given the catalogue number HH49, which actually ended up being assigned to another Cave In 7" - the 'Lift Off / Lost In The Air' 7". This contains two songs - 'Mr. Co-Dexterity' and 'Inflatable Dream', both of which were later released on the 'Anomalies Vol. 1' EP.

So this is the second unreleased Cave In 7" that exists in test press form. The other one also comes in a flower pressed paper sleeve, and is a split with Kid Kilowatt (another Steve Brodsky band). I count myself very lucky to have these things.

1 comment:

Hop said...

Damn, I’d never heard of this record before now