Did you ever completely ignore a record and make a conscious decision not to listen to it, only to then change your mind 35 or so years later?
Back around 1992 or so I ordered a few things from Alternative Tentacles Back then they had an office in London over here in the UK, and I ordered a few t-shirts and a couple of records. I was into Dead Kennedys, Lard and Tumor Circus. Yup, all the Jello Biafra bands. Except for some reason I was not remotely interested in the records that he did with Nomeansno or D.O.A. and as at right now, I don't really know why.
Well, a few weeks ago I stumbled across the Jello with D.O.A. LP on ebay UK, and the text description said that the seller would throw in the Jello with Nomeansno LP for free. It wasn't the best listing, so I figured I could have a good chance at getting the two for a good price. And yes, I won the two for roughly the price that one of them would usually sell for.
'Last Scream Of The Missing Neighbours' was released in 1990. It contains six songs, of which the first five are about 3 minutes each, and the final song is nearly 14 minutes and takes up one side of the record. This copy is one of the UK pressing copies with a UK address on the sleeve.
'The Sky Is Falling And I Want My Mommy' is the title of the LP that Jello recorded with Nomeansno which came out a year after the LP with D.O.A.
This is also a UK pressing. I'd rather have US pressings of each, but these will do for now.
God only knows why I avoided these records for so long. Both are really good, and even though I hadn't heard either of them until recently, listening to these feels very nostalgic, reminding me of the early 90s when I used to listen to Dead Kennedys, Lard and Tumor Circus a hell of a lot. I definitely prefer the D.O.A. LP of the two, but both are fun listens, even if I am 35 years or so too late.




No comments:
Post a Comment