Wednesday, 19 August 2026

Pablum

My last post asw about the band Coffin Break, and I mentioned that after recent discovering two of their albums released in the early 90s by Epitaph Records, I decided to look at the label's discography to see what else they had put out that I had never heard of.

One name immediately stood out and jogged my memory as I remembered hearing of Claw Hammer back in the early 90s. I'm pretty sure that they had a song appear on an episode of the 411 Skate Video Magazine. So out of curiosity I checked a song out online and was instantly nodding my head and thinking how damn catchy it was. Next stop was discogs where I found a sealed copy for sale in the UK for £7.50. It's almost as if it was put there just for me.

The band was from Long Beach, California and active between 1987 and 2000. Their bio on discogs describes them as 'a U.S. avant blues rock group'. That's not really a genre I am overly familiar with, and not something that I would really be too motivated to check out. However, this is a really interesting record, mainly because it sounds just so different to anything, largely due to the vocal. The singer sounds like the chracter 'Zed' from 'Police Academy' films trying to sing like Axl Rose. Sounds weird right? And yes, it is. But also strangely addictive. Check out the song 'Vigil Smile' if you're remotely curious.

No comments: