Monday, 3 August 2026

Rites Of Spring

The last few months I have been digging into the Dischord catalogue and exploring some bands I'd never been interested in previously. This year Holy Rollers, Beefeater and Ignition have all clicked with me. So I figured I wanted to try another record that I checked out years ago that didn't grab me - the Rits Of Spring LP.

This was one of a few Dischord releases that I heard back when I was about 18 and which I didn't 'get' at the time. I then tried it again at some point and just wasn't that into it. And then a bunch of years flew by. With me seemingly now more interested in older records rather than new ones, I figured that this could be one that I may have changed my mind on. Listening to it on the Dischord bandcamp page, I couldn't really understand what it was that I didn't like about this before. But I definitely now wanted a vinyl copy. I just didn't want a recent repress.

A couple of weeks ago I spotted one for sale on eBay. It was part of a lot of four Dischord LPs. I didn't really want to buy four records when I already had three of them. But I fugred that the price was good, so I started to think that maybe I could buy the lot, keep the Rites Of Spring LP, and sell the other three LPs for enough money to cover the price of all four, this ending up with a 'free' Rites Of Spring LP. So that's my plan, and I think it should work out. I just need to go through the hassle of selling some records.

This copy is not a first press copy. Those are denoted by the $5 postpaid price on the back cover. This one here shows $6 postpaid. I'm not sure when it would have been pressed, but the person I bought it from probably got it around 1990, based on other records he had for sale.

Anyway, I'm happy that I finally get this record, and that I found a vinyl copy for a good price. I'm now getting close to having a respectable Dischord collection, but still a long way to go before there are no obvious gaps.

No comments: