Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Coffin Break

Another Sub Pop 7" that I was missing was the Coffin Break 7". It's not really that hard to find, but I knew I wanted a colour vinyl copy and I just had to wait for one to pop up in the UK for a reasonable price. Eventually it happened. This is SP85 and came out in September 1990.

Despite this being on SubPop, this isn't grunge. The band are described on discogs as 'hardcore punk', and on their bandcamp page as 'metal/punk'. Whatever it is, this was one of those records where it was an instant hit after one play and I wanted more. I immediately hit up the internet and quickly found two full length LPs for sale in the UK for only £10 each, so I grabbed both.

Both records are later releases. Also, both are on Epitaph Records. As we all know, a lot of bands on Epitaph became very popular over time. Coffin Break are one of the exceptions. I mean, of course they were relatively popular, but less so than other Epitaph bands of the same era (Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, The Offspring, Pennywise etc.).

'Crawl' is their third LP, and was released in 1991. A lot of this record is what I would call 'melodic punk', which is more in line with what I'd expect on Epitaph. Regardless of what you might call it, this is my favourite record at the moment.

'Thirteen' is the fourth LP, released in 1992. So far I'm less into this one, although it may be because I haven't listened to this one as much yet.

There are two albums that came before these two that I now really want, but sadly they aren't readily available at a decent price. So onto the wants list they go.

This made me curious about what other less known bands / records Epitaph may have put out. More on that in the next post...

No comments: