Tuesday 17 September 2024

Grey Skies

Another new release from 2024 that I have been enjoying recently is the 'Grey Skies' LP by Jade Dust. I discovered the band last year and picked up two 12" EPs which I have played a lot. The band hails from Portland, Oregon but sound a lot like a Revolution Summer style DC band. There probably aren't too many bands doing this sound in the modern era, so they really stand out to me, and when I saw that they had a new record out earlier this year I was quick to order a copy.

There were two different colours of vinyl to choose from with this one - teal or clear orange. After some deliberation I went with the clear orange, but it wasn't an easy decision. Quite why they didn't press it on grey vinyl I do not know. It would have been the natural and obvious choice to me.

There are 8 songs on here of which two are covers ('Anger Means' by Ignition and 'What We Want Is Free' by Articles Of Faith). My only complaint is that 8 songs whizz by quite quickly. It's 18 minutes long, but every time I put it on it feels like it finishes before I'm ready. This band really can do no wrong it seems other than not write enough songs.

Finally, an observation and question - if this band is American, why are they spelling 'grey' with an 'e' rather than 'gray' with an 'a'? I'm always fascinated by the differences in language and spelling, and often I can make sense of things. But this one has me slightly stumped. If anyone can explain I'd be grateful as I've probably thought about this for way too long already.

No comments: