Monday 2 September 2024

Sunny Blunts

In my last post I mentioned that I recently took a trip up north to visit a friend and see a show. I went to see Jeff Caudill perform an acoustic solo show, and even though there were other bands playing, I managed to miss them all... apart from one song by a band called Fast Blood. I liked the one song that I heard, and given that some dude that I have vaguely known for about thirty years was on drums, I figured I wuold support them and buy a copy of their debut LP that had just come out and that they were selling that night.

The record is titled 'Sunny Blunts' and is named after the estate on which the singer grew up (as opposed to being a reference to smoking weed in the summer). As far as I can tell, all copies are on white vinyl.

I started playing this about two weeks ago and it is my current obsession. The band play melodic punk sounding tunes, with a female vocal over the top that really reminds me of some other band from the past, although I am not sure which. The vocals range from softly sung to screams of rage, and now again you hear the british northeast accent coming through, which I think works really well here, a bit like a female version of Graham's accent in High Vis songs. The music is really, really catchy and even though I know nothing about music, I can tell that these guys are very talented at their respective instruments.

I'm probably not doing a good job here of describing this, but I will end this post with two things. Firstly, this might just be my favourite record released this year. Yes, it is that good. Secondly, based on this, you should give three minutes of your time to checking out one of their songs to see if this might also be your cup of tea. I'd suggest starting with the opening song, 'Sexual Healing'. If you don't like it then that's fine, but please be aware that we may not be able to be friends anymore.

No comments: