Monday 18 December 2023

South By Southview

It was around about 2017 when I started collecting 7"s by The Damage Done, which was a band from 2011 - 2003. In my usual style, I was slightly late to the game. But in the years since, I have managed to pick up quite a few records by the band, mainly thanks to Kyle (who used to be in the band) who sent me 13 copies of one of the records in one go. Oh yeah, and I was also once given one of their 7"s by my friend Paulo when I met up with him in Rome.

Continuing the trend of adding to my collection via the kindness of friends, I recently got a message from Ralf with a picture of a 7" and asking if I needed it. Turned out to be a copy of the 2nd 7", 'Never Wash Away', with a limited pre cover. I told him I needed it and a few weeks later it showed up at my house in a nicely packed box.

I'm not sure how many of these were made, but probably not too many. This cover was made so that they could sell some 7"s after their release show and before the real covers arrived. I love the idea and enthusiasm here. Kids literally not being able to wait to get their record out in an era before digital music really took off in a big way.

Checking my spreadsheet and I Now have 24 The Damage Done 7"s. Ok, so its mainly because I was sent 13 copies of the sdame record, but still, that's quite some going. Yet there are still others I don't have. Not sure how many others I'm missing but it's mainly the rarer versions, including tests, so not sure I will be adding any more anytime soon. One day I will lay them all out for a photo though.

No comments: