Sunday 17 December 2023

Shai Hulud

The next step in my mission to 'complete' my Revekation collection is some records by Florida metallic hardcore band, Shai Hulud. Back when this band first appeared in 1997, I was really into them. Heck, they were a new and exciting band right at a time when that's what I wanted. Their first couple of releases were on Crisis Records (which was a kind of subsidiary of Revelation) so I immediately assumed that they were huge. But like a lot of bands from that era that kept on going, I kinda lost interest at some point. So the only records of theirs that I ever heard are the ones on Crisis and Rev.

'A Profound Hatred Of Man' is a compilation of various releases on one handy disc. The title of the record is the same as their debut release, which was a 7" put out by Crisis Records back in 1997. The songs from that record are the first 3 songs on here and the next 3 songs were originally released as a split 10" with Indecision that was also put out by Crisis Records. The rest of the songs are covers by Bad Brains, Negative Approach, Bad Religion, NOFX, Metallica, all of which seem pretty unneccessary but never mind.

This version of the record was pressed last year (2022) and largely due to the pressing plant used, looks great

'Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion' was the band's first full length, also released by Crisis Records in 1997. Back when this came out I absolutely loved it. It sounded like a huge step forward in metallic hardcore, which is kinda funny with hindsight, because these days it sounds kinda dated to me.

This record was also pressed in 2022 and also looks even better than the other one.

Both records were pressed on purple vinyl back in 2015, and the above represses were a reminder that I had passed on them. I managed to find copies for not too much. There were roughly 550 copies of each of these purple records made.

I had also missed the 2014 grey vinyl pressing of the second album 'That Within Blood Ill-Tempered'. This one was originally released by Revelation (after Crisis Records was retired) in 2003, and including this grey version has been pressed on 5 different colours of vinyl as well as being pressed as a picture disc.

I got lucky and managed to find a German distro with a copy of this pressing still for sale for a 'new' price, but I needed some help to actually buy it. Big thanks to Ralf for the help with this one.

I now have an almost complete collection of Rev released Shai Hulud records. The exception, however, is that there are two 12" picture discs, which I have sworn that I will never buy as they are the ugliest things I have ever seen. At least, that's the plan.

No comments: