Tuesday 26 December 2023

Nevermind Target, Here's Blue

A couple of posts ago I wrote about my adventures in Walmart. The store was an enormous warehouse full of anything and everything that a person might need. Well, a few days later and we were in Miami and one evening, after dinner, we popped into a Target just down the street.

For anyone reading this who is unaware of Target, it's a 'discount department store' with around 2,000 outlets across the States. We nipped in to buy something small, and (like Walmart) ended up walking around checking out the scene. And again, just like Walmart, I stumbled upon a record setion. So of course I had to have a quick look through the racks.

I think this is a great example of getting a little bit carried away. It's so easy to buy records in the States as they are everywhere, and way cheaper than they would be over here. When I am at home I pretty much never go to record stores, and when I do they are always disappointing. So when I'm in the States it's hard to avoid the temptation. And sometimes I end up buying stuff that I otherwise wouldn't have because it's there.

So I walked out of Target that evening with a couple of classic LPs because they were there and they were cheap. First up, Nirvana's 'Nevermind'.

After my recent obsession with Nirvana's 'Sliver / Dive' 7", I kinda felt that I needed this LP in my life. According to discogs, there are 190 different vinyl versions of this record, and some of the older or rarer ones are super expensive. I can't be bothered to get into that level of detail, so this Target exclusive on silver vinyl will do just fine.

Next, I grabbed this blue marble vinyl pressing of Weezer's first, self-titled LP (aka the blue album). Around 2001 I was really into this record and I have had five of the first six albums on vinyl for a lot of years, but thought I was missing this one. So again, this cheap but nice looking blue copy filled a gap.

Of course when I got home it turned out that I had this one after all, albeit on black vinyl. I think I had got confused because I have for a long time suspected that mine may be a bootleg, so I think in my mind I didn't have this record at all. I think that's only the second time in thirty years or so that I have ended up buying a record that I thought I needed that I already had. Whoops.

No comments: