Sunday 9 July 2023

Rumble

I picked up some Equal Vision Records test pressings from someone recently who used to work for Revelation Records in the mid 90s. Back then, there was some kind of arrangement between Rev and EVR, whereby Rev seemed to manage the production of EVR vinyl releases at their local pressing plant (Rainbo). So it was no surprise that someone who worked at Rev had some EVR tests in his collection. I was happy to be able to buy these, as EVR was such a great label through the 90s, and there are some truly great records in the label's back catalog. All of these tests came to me in plain white paper sleeves, so I pulled out the regular records to make the photos a little more interesting.

I figured I'd post these tests one at a time in catalog number order, so first up is EVR 30, which is the the 3rd full length from Serpico titled 'Rumble'. The band were from Staten Island, NY, and were active from circa 1990 to 1998. The band were originally called Sleeper, but had to change their name as there was a UK band with the same name who were active at the same time. Discogs tells me that this band were paid $125k to give up the rights to the name Sleeper in the US, which seems kinda cool if it's true, and much better than a 'cease and desist' letter which is usually how bands are told that they have to change their name. Anyway, I latched on to this band before they got signed to Equal Vision as they had some records on Excursion Records, but their move to EVR marked a big improvement in their sound (well, to me at least). This record came out in 1996 and, aside from a 7", ended up being their last release. They played melodic hardcore and were very catchy and I'm not really sure why they didn't catch on and blow up more. Then again, a lot of stuff in the 90s makes little sense with the gift of hindsight.

No comments: