Tuesday 11 July 2023

Everlasting

Third in my series of four Equal Vision test pressings that I picked up from an ex Revelation Records employee is for sure an interesting one. Originally released in 1994 by a Swedish label, Refused 'Everlasting' was released as EVR 33 in 1997 and was, at the time, the first and only vinyl pressing of this record. This has changed in the following years with the ever increasing popularity of vinyl. But this US pressing on EVR was the first vinyl pressing made.

Back when this came out in the early 90s, y money was always reserved for vinyl and mainly whatever was coming out of the States, so with the first few Refused records being put out by European labels and on CD only, the band didn't make it onto my radar. What changed this was the release of their 1996 full length 'Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent' which came out on Victory Records. Looking back, this was one of the first examples of a big US hardcore label putting out a band from Europe, and I really loved that record when it came out. Or at least, the first three songs. So when EVR reissued 'Everlasting' I was down. The record is a little bit more basic, but it's undoubtedly a great record. For the 90s hardcore fan, this is probably their peak. I say that as I never liked 'The Shape Of Punk To Come'. Controversial, I know., but that's how I roll.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I don't believe it is controversial. I'm under the impression that "true" hardcore kids don't like The Shape of Punk To Come record... which is probably why I like it.

Ralf said...

I LOVE everything Refused released in the 90s. One of the first 5 bands that I discovered when I got Intro hardcore and New Noise was a staple at the local indie disco, which is why The Shape Of Punkt To Come holds a special place for me. Just going by the music I’d have to rank it lower in 2023, but for nostalgic reasons it’s still #2.

Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent
The Shape Of Punk To Come
This Just Might Be The Truth
Rather Be Dead
Everlasting
Pump The Breaks

I really love the two compilation CDs they released as well. Those were huge for me.