Wednesday 12 July 2023

Built To Last

The final in my series of 4 posts on some Equal Vision Records test pressings that I got from an ex Rev employee recently. This one is EVR 36, which is the 4th full length from Sick Of It All, 'Built To Last'. Originally released in 1997, this was their second one put out by a major label (EastWest), and the second time that Equal Vision stepped in to make sure it got pressed on vinyl for the hardcore community.

Back when this one came out I was super excited for it, as it was the follow up to what I still think is probably the band's best record, 'Scratch The Surface'. Right off the bat this one looked the part, with a the grill of a badass looking truck on the front cover. However, at the time I just remember feeling a little disappointed by it. As a general rule, I seem to get into every other SOIA record, so following 'Scratch The Surface' was never going to be easy, and I think that in the time between the two records, a LOT had happened in the world of hardcore. Also, in 1997 when this came out, SOIA started to feel like an old band It had been 10 years since their debut 7" had come out), although ten years seems like nothing as I type this over 25 years later. Still, regarldess of my memory of it, I obviously played this one a fair bit as I know the songs, and there are some bangers on here. I will admit though, I have no idea where people rank this one generally amongst the many SOIA albums that now exist. Is it up there as one of their best, or do people generally regard it as a forgettable one? Answers in the comments if you will.

1 comment:

Ralf said...

Fun record and definitely in my top 5 SOIA LPs. Scratch The Surface is their best output by far in my opinion, but I love everything they released up until they left Fat Wreck. The record afterward I could do without.

Scratch The Surface
Live In A Dive
Just Look Around
Blood, Sweat And No Tears
Built To Last
Yours Truly
Call To Arms
Life On The Ropes
Death To Tyrants
Based On A True Story

I know, I know, the Live In A Dive record is not an actual album but it’s their second most played release for me, so I can’t leave it out.