Wednesday 21 September 2022

Nardcore For Life

It was only a month ago that I posted the Outburst covers compilation LP and talked about how compilations are pretty unnecessary these days. I mean, it's true to an extent, as modern technology means that we don't need to buy records to 'sample' bands anymore. But actually, when I think about it, a lot of compilations used to serve a very different and very valid purpose - to document a scene at a particular time. Going back a few months, one of the records I picked up from Indecision Records HQ was this compilation LP 'Nardcore For Life'. I bought a lot of Indecision releases on that trip, and I got to a point where I was just grabbing pretty much everything, so when I saw this compilation of Nardcore bands I was just like 'sure, I'll take one'. I mean, why not?

This was released in 2020, but somehow I had no idea it existed. There were 500 copies on clear purple vinyl, and 500 on this yellow and maroon colour. I probably would have grabbed the purple if it were available, but it was sold out, so I took this one. But actually, I think this one looks great so I'm very happy to have it. And it partly looks great because it was pressed at a US plant.

It's taken me a few months to get around to listening to this one, mainly because I have obtained so much new music this year that there just aren't enough hours in the day. But I've been spinning this one the past week or so whilst cleaning and sealing my patio, and it's been a good fun listen. There are a variety of sounds and I think that's what keeps it interesting. There are 24 songs on here and it comes in at just under 40 minutes, which means that the average song length is 100 seconds.

There are some older bands on here, a boatload that I have never heard of, and an absolutely great song by a band called No Motiv. It also comes with a glossy booklet thing which is a bit of a flashback to older comps of my youth. Overall I' glad I picked this one up... although it has totally made me want to check out more of these Nardcore comps. I'm sure there are a few of them about. Feels like this could be another new collection that I try to complete.

No comments: